| KEY INFORMATION ABOUT ZLATIBOR PROJECT
REGIONAL WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT PROJECT FOR ZLATIBOR DISTRICT
(City of Užice and Arilje, Požega, Kosjerić, and Ivanjica municipalities)
Sector: Environmental protection/Wastewater management
The project covers the City of Užice and four municipalities: Arilje, Požega, Kosjerić, and Ivanjica in the Zlatibor District in the south-western part of Serbia. The total population in these five populated areas stands around 158,000, of which 69,000 live in the City of Užice. Approximately 60% of the population is connected to the sewerage network, with the largest number of connections in Užice — about 80. In the city of Užice, wastewater is discharged without appropriate treatment into local watercourses, mostly through several uncontrolled outlets. The situation is similar in Arilje, Požega, Kosjerić, and Ivanjica — the Zlatibor District has no regional wastewater treatment plant.
The construction of an appropriate system for collecting, draining, and treating wastewater is essential on both the regional and local levels for each populated area. The overall objective of the project is to improve the municipal infrastructure for collecting, draining, and treating wastewater in these areas, by preparing documentation that would explore and propose optimal technical solutions for wastewater drainage and treatment at the regional level.
- Protecting and improving the water quality in the Đetinja river and other recipients — watercourses — against the harmful effects of uncontrolled and direct discharge of wastewater;
- Reducing pollution and increasing the quality of groundwater and surface water, as well as river sediment;
- Improving the sanitary conditions and public health for the populations of the Arilje, Požega, Kosjerić, Ivanjica, and Užice municipalities;
- Providing core technical solutions for municipal wastewater drainage and treatment at the regional and local levels;
- Investigating and establishing the spatial, environmental, commercial, and economic feasibility of the proposed technical solutions for the development of wastewater collection and drainage system;
- Ensuring the development of priority investment projects focusing on regional wastewater management for all key self-governing units;
- Improving the protection of water and environmental resources in line with the Water Management Strategy on the territory of the Republic of Serbia and the relevant Implementation Plan for the EU directive on wastewater treatment;
- Ensuring compliance with the EU Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive in the project zone.
Within the EU PPF program, the EU PPF8 project unit’s expert team will produce:
- The pre-feasibility study for the wastewater management project for the Zlatibor and Moravica districts.
The pre-feasibility study (PFS) will investigate and determine the technical, spatial, environmental, social, financial, economic, and institutional feasibility of the proposed technical solutions, based on which the relevant authorities will be able to decide on the further implementation of the project.
By clicking the button below, you can review or download document containing basic project information. Documents can be freely downloaded and further distributed for individual use. Changing or publishing documents is not allowed without the explicit permission of the author.
By clicking the button below, you can review or download document containing basic project information. Documents can be freely downloaded and further distributed for individual use. Commercial reproduction and distribution of the photos and other materials without the permission from the EU PPF is not allowed.
Eco tips and tricks
Read eco tips and tricks from our experts.
Check out our calendar of important environmental dates.
Did You know?
Find the answers to frequently asked questions.
Visit the interactive map
of PPF projects
Promoting the results of EU’s development assistance to Serbia
Social Media links