| KEY INFORMATION ABOUT BELGRADE PROJECT ĐERDAP 2
REHABILITATION, ADAPTATION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF NAVIGATION LOCK OF HPP “ĐERDAP 2”
Sector: Transport/ Water transport and safety of navigation
Navigation lock“Đerdap 2” is an integral part of HPNS “Đerdap 2”. HPNS “Đerdap 2”is located on river Danube, in Negotin municipality. It was built on the stationing km 862 + 800 on the profile “Kusjak”. It is located 2 km upstream from the beginning of Romanian island Veliko ostrvo (Ostrovul Mare), 80 km downstream from HPP “Đerdap 1” and 2 km upstream from city of Prahovo.
The navigation lock at HPP “Đerdap 2” is single-stage, with a chamber length of 310 m and a width of 34 m. The maximum difference between the upper and lower water level is 12.5 m. The navigation lock is consisted of the upstream head, the chamber and the downstream head, the upstream and downstream pre-port and the command tower. Upstream and downstream from the navigation lock, on the Danube, are special waiting zones. Both heads of the lock are equipped with a door (located in the chamber) which serves to regulate the traffic through the lock.
The navigation lock is equipped with hydraulic and electrical and mechanical equipment that enables its smooth operation. The navigation lock has been in operation since February 1994, and about 38,000 transfers have been made through it so far, about 160,000 vessels and about 105 million tons of goods have been transferred.
The specific objectives of the project are defined as:
- Reduced number and duration of unforeseen delays and interruptions of navigation, and greater safety of the navigation lock;
- Extending the service life of equipment and increasing energy efficiency by 50%;
- Improving the reliability and efficiency of river traffic and re-establishing unhindered navigation on the Danube (Pan-European Corridor VII), enabling unhindered connections between Western, Central and Southern Europe;
- Preparation of the environmental impact assessment of the proposed project with the aim to identify possible negative impacts of the project on the environment and to define mitigation measures, if needed.
- Control tower gondola remediation;
- Reconstruction and modernization of technological premises;
- Reconstruction of the existing internal roads;
- Rehabilitation of part of the embankment of the downstream berthing area;
- Repair of the damages to the concrete surfaces of navigation lock;
- Replacement and reconstruction of electrical installations;
- Rehabilitation and adaptation of hydraulic drive installations and hydromechanical equipment of doors and shutters, protective nets for braking ships, entrance grilles;
- Rehabilitation and adaptation of cranes, drainage and drainage systems, systems for automatic lubrication of working doors, machinery equipment of a stable fire extinguishing system;
- Adaptation of the navigation system.
Within the EU PPF programme, the EU PPF7 project unit’s expert team produced:
- Environmental Impact Assessment Study (EIA Study) – June 2021.
By clicking the button below, you can review or download document containing basic project information. Documents can be freely downloaded and further distributed for individual use. Commercial reproduction and distribution of the photos and other materials without the permission from the EU PPF is not allowed.